your chief stewards
offer these tips and information to afge 2782 members at the census bureau
see the classification
appeal process presentation here.
if you are ever called
into a meeting with any management representative and if you have any
reason whatsoever to believe disciplinary action may result, before answering
any questions read them your weingarten rights:
"if this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined
or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, i request that
my afge steward or union officer be present at the meeting. without representation,
i choose not to answer any questions. (this is my protected right under
the 1975 supreme court decision nlrb v. weingarten)."
your supervisor must stop the meeting and allow you to get representation.
call the union
office 301-763-3175, x3176, x3177, or x3178.
should management still insist that you answer their question, don’t
leave the meeting. insist on your protected right not to answer any questions
without a union representative.
do not confess to anything. when the steward arrives and you answer questions,
simply stick to the facts. even if the manager insists on you answering
investigatory questions, do not walk out
of the meeting. insist on your right to not answer investigatory questions
and show the quote above. attempt to contact a union rep. that is your
when the steward arrives
at the meeting:
1) manager must inform the steward of the subject matter of the interview
– that is the type of misconduct being investigated.
2) the steward must be permitted a private meeting with the employee before
3) the steward can advise the employee not to answer questions that are
abusive, misleading, badgering, or harassing.
role of steward during
a weingarten (investigatory) meeting:
1) to serve as your witness.
2) to prevent intimidation tactics or confusing questions.
3) caution an employee against losing his or her temper.
4) discourage employees from informing on others.
5) help an employee to avoid fatal admissions.
6) seek clarification.